Proofreading Service for Junior Scholars
- © TUB
The TU Berlin Proofreading Service aims to support academic careers, improve junior scholars’ language skills, and promote the internationalization of the University.
The new Proofreading Service offers TU Berlin junior scholars the opportunity to have their external funding applications written in English proofread, thus improving the level of their written English and their chances of success. The service includes proofreading grammar, spelling, punctuation, and writing style as well as feedback on linguistic issues. It does not include technical editing, layout optimization, formatting, or a review of formal details (e.g. consistent citation or footnotes).
The establishment of the Proofreading Service is a measure of the 2019/20 Advancement of Junior Scholars Action Plan to optimize support for junior scholars at TU Berlin and an outcome of the Round Tables with Junior Scholars , regularly held by vice president for strategic development, junior scholars, and teacher education, Professor Dr. Angela Ittel, since winter semester 2018/19.
To minimize possible negative impacts of the pandemic on the scientific work of our young junior scholars, the Proofreading Service is expanding its offer to include papers for peer review journals until the end of 2020. This additional service is made possible through the provision of funds from the Berlin University Alliance. Junior scholars can now submit both one application for external funding and one academic paper for publication in a peer review journal for a free proofreading.
Who can use the Proofreading Service?
- All TU Berlin doctoral candidates (must have submitted the declaration of intent to pursue doctoral studies at TU Berlin)
- All research associates employed at TU Berlin who completed their doctorate within the past 2 years
For texts written by persons who do not fall within the target group, the proofreading service is offered with 100% of the costs assumed by the author.
Which texts can I submit for proofreading?
During the pilot phase, only external funding applications will be accepted for proofreading.
Your text will be handled in strict confidence.
The Proofreading Service is expanding its offer to include papers for peer review journals until the end of 2020. This offer is made possible through funds provided by the Berlin University Alliance.
What does the Proofreading Service cost?
During the pilot phase, each junior scholar can have one external funding application proofread free of charge.
For additional texts and texts written by persons who do not fall within the target group, the proofreading service is offered with 100% of the costs assumed by the author. Please contact us for an individual cost estimate.
How long will it take to proofread my text?
We strive to deliver your proofread text as quickly as possible. Please note, however, that it can take several days to proofread your text depending on its length and complexity. If you have a preferred delivery date, please include this in the request form. Please contact us directly if you have an urgent request.
How do I submit a proofreading request?
1. To initiate a proofreading request, please send the following documents to the Proofreading Service:
- completed and signed request form 
- a Word file with the text to be proofread
- and, if applicable, a list of standard technical terms
2. The Proofreading Service will then find a suitable proofreader. If required, our in-house translators will brief the proofreader. We will then inform you of the delivery date and send you the proofreader’s contact information and vice versa should direct discussion be necessary.
3. After we receive the proofread text, TU Berlin Translation Services will conduct a random quality check.
4. Upon request, we can also provide you with an individual feedback summary containing
- a systematic summary with explanations of the most common mistakes in the text
- suggestions and tips regarding writing style
- a guide to independently editing and proofreading further scientific texts
5. After you receive your proofread text, please fill out a survey on your satisfaction. This helps us continually improve and evaluate the Proofreading Service.