Proofreading Service for Junior Scholars
- © TUB
The TU Berlin Proofreading Service aims to support academic careers, improve junior scholars’ language skills, and promote the internationalization of the University.
The new Proofreading Service offers TU Berlin junior scholars the opportunity to have their external funding applications and academic papers for publication in peer-reviewed journals written in English proofread, thus improving the level of their written English and their chances of success.
The Proofreading Service was established as a measure of the 2019/20 Advancement of Junior Scholars Action Plan to optimize support for junior scholars at TU Berlin and is an outcome of the Round Tables with Junior Scholars , regularly held by vice president for strategic development, junior scholars, and teacher education, Professor Dr. Angela Ittel, since winter semester 2018/19. Following a successful pilot phase in 2020/2021, the Proofreading Service has been extended until the end of 2025.
Who can use the Proofreading Service?
- All TU Berlin doctoral candidates (must have submitted the declaration of intent to pursue doctoral studies at TU Berlin)
- All research associates employed at TU Berlin who completed their doctorate within the past 2 years
For texts written by persons who do not fall within the target group, the proofreading service is offered with 100% of the costs assumed by the author.
Which texts can I submit for proofreading?
Junior scholars can submit two texts for a free proofreading:
One application for external funding and one academic paper for publication in a peer-reviewed journal
two applications for external funding
two papers for publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
Your text will be handled in strict confidence.
What does the service include?
The service includes proofreading grammar, spelling, punctuation, and writing style as well as feedback on linguistic issues.
Upon request, we can also provide you with an individual feedback summary containing
- a systematic summary with explanations of the most common mistakes in the text
- suggestions and tips regarding writing style
- a guide to independently editing and proofreading further scientific texts
The service does not include technical editing, layout optimization, formatting, or a review of formal details (e.g. consistent citation or footnotes).
Please note: The proofreading service is only offered once for each text. Repeated proofreading is not possible.
What does the Proofreading Service cost?
Each junior scholar can have two texts proofread free of charge.
For additional texts and texts written by persons who do not fall within the target group, the proofreading service is offered with 100% of the costs assumed by the author. Please contact us for an individual cost estimate.
How long will it take to proofread my text?
Please note that it can take several days to proofread your text depending on its length and complexity. Since the texts are proofread by external editors and then randomly checked in-house, we would like to ask you to submit your text 14 days in advance, if possible. Of course, we will make every effort to ensure timely delivery for more urgent requests.
How do I submit a proofreading request?
1. To initiate a proofreading request, please send the following documents to the Proofreading Service:
and signed request form
- Request form External Funding Application 
- Request form Academic Paper 
- a Word file with the text to be proofread
- and, if applicable, a list of standard technical terms
2. The Proofreading Service will then find a suitable proofreader. If required, our in-house translators will brief the proofreader. We will then inform you of the delivery date and send you the proofreader’s contact information and vice versa should direct discussion be necessary.
3. After we receive the proofread text, TU Berlin Translation Services will conduct a random quality check.
4. Upon request, we can also provide you with an individual feedback summary.
5. After you receive your proofread text, please fill out a survey on your satisfaction. This helps us continually improve and evaluate the Proofreading Service.
Download request form external funding application
- Request form proofreading service External funding application