TU Berlin

International Scientific CooperationInsurances for International Visiting Researchers

stilisierte Kugel mit Schriftzug Internationales International Affairs

Page Content

to Navigation

Insurances for International Visiting Researchers

Health Insurance

All researchers and their accompanying family members must take out a health insurance policy that covers them from the first day in Germany.

Before you can obtain a residence permit, you will be required to submit the proof of your insurance cover. You should check that your insurance in your home country covers medical and hospital expenses in Germany. If this cover is not sufficient, you will have to take out additional insurance.

The two types of health insurance in Germany are statutory health insurance and private health insurance. Their availability depends on whether you will be working in Germany on the basis of a scholarship, fellowship or an employment contract. If you fund your stay in Germany independently or by means of a fellowship, you have no alternative but to take out private health insurance cover. If you possess an employment contract, you are obliged to take out statutory German health insurance. 


To apply for your residence permit you will need a proof of a secure livelihood, which must also include sufficient health insurance. Those with statutory health insurance are sufficiently insured. Those with private health insurance must consider the type and extent of their health insurance. For more information, please read the leaflet "Information for students on adequate health insurance".

Information on the German health insurance system is availĀ­able from the website of the Federal Ministry of Health.

Liability Insurance

In Germany everybody can be hold liable for damages that he has caused to third parties. Parents are liable for their children. Therefore, it is commonly standard to effect a private (family-) liability insurance to hedge oneself against claims of others due to unintentionally caused damages.

Examples for possible Private Health and Liability Insurances


Quick Access

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe