TU Berlin

International Scientific CooperationResidents' Registration Office

stilisierte Kugel mit Schriftzug Internationales International Affairs

Page Content

to Navigation

Residents' Registration Office

In Germany there is an obligation for everybody to register at the Registration Office. Within one week after your arrival or in case your address has changed, you have to register yourself and all family members that are accompanying you at the Registration Office of your residential area. At the Registration Office you will receive:

• Registration certificate: you will need the registration certificate for example for the extension of your visa and to open a bank account.

• Tax identification number (IdNr.): you will need the tax identification number (IdNr.), if you have an employment contract and receive a salary.

For the registration at the Registration Office, please bring along the following documents in original:

1. Valid passport

2. Rental contract

3. For family members: certificates of marriage and birth certificates 

Your local registration office can be found here.

To notify a change in address / to de-register

If you change your apartment during your stay, you have to notify the local Registration Office of your new living area about your new address.

If you leave Germany at the end of your research stay, you have to de-register yourself from the Registration Office.


Quick Access

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe