direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

Health Insurance

 By law, students are required to have health insurance whilst they are studying in Germany. Please read the information below to see your options, and the check what documents you will need to provide upon registration.

All participants will need to provide the following two things upon registration:

1. Your insurance documentation

This can be any of the following:



b) International insurance policy in English

c) An application for insurance with Mawista

d) The insurance policy of your university’s study abroad program.


See below for more information on each of these things.

2. A TK waiver form

A completed copy of the TK waiver form (links below) must be uploaded when you register. TK (Techniker Krankenkasser) is a German public health insurance company. This form gives us permission to send your insurance policy to TK, who will check it for compliance with German health insurance standards and who will provide us with a certificate that states you are sufficiently insured. We are only allowed to enroll you at the TUB, once this check is complete, and we need this certificate for everyone (even if you go for the Mawista option or have an EHIC). If your insurance is declared as insufficient, we will let you know.

TK form for Summer University

TK form for Winter University 


More on the different insurance options…

a) EHIC card (EU Participants)

Participants from EU countries will be covered for their stay in Germany by their national health insurance, however they must have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) and keep this with them for the duration of their stay. A copy must be uploaded upon registration, along with a completed TK form.

b) International health insurance policy

You are also welcome to take out insurance from a provider of your choice. When you register, please upload the policy pages of your insurance plan (where the monetary excesses for health care are listed) in English, along with a completed TK form.

c) Take out insurance with Mawista

We offer the option to take out insurance upon registration with Mawista, a German health insurance company. We recommend the option Mawista Reisecare, which costs 1.25 € a day. There is an option to apply for this during online registration for our program. You will need to know your arrival and departure dates to and from Germany beforehand. You will still need to upload a completed TK form as well, as we still need to get the permission certificate from TK that allows us to enroll you at the university.

d) Insurance policy for study abroad students from your university

If you are joining us through a study abroad program organized by your university, please check whether they have their own university insurance for study abroad students. If so, please upload a copy of this during registration, along with a completed TK form.

*Please note, we have changed our insurance processes recently, so if you have queries regarding this, feel free to email us at summeruniversity@tubs.de*



Zusatzinformationen / Extras

Quick Access:

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

Auxiliary Functions