Although Berlin is an international city, you will find it much easier to understand your surroundings and enjoy the city if you have acquired some basics in German. German is still an important language for business, science, and the arts, and is the most widely spoken language in Europe - plus, it's easy to learn for English-speaking students.
Our German language course addresses the needs of beginners. The content of the course follows the standards of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) for level A1.1 (beginners with no prior knowledge).
Learning Goals & Syllabus
Competencies in German equivalent to the competencies level A1.1 of the Common European Framework of References for Languages. Students will:
- Understand and use simple everyday expressions and basic phrases as well as learn to introduce themselves and others
- Read simple sentences and understand basic phrases, numbers, and the ABC
- Use simple phrases and sentences to describe where they live, what they are studying and some more basic personal facts
- Learn to write short, simple texts about basic personal facts
- Get an introduction to German grammar, esp. into present conjugation of regular and irregular verbs, basic rules of article use and grammatical gender in German, basic rules of plural formation in German
- Be introduced to fundamental rules of German pronunciation and orthography.
Please click here  for the course syllabus.
You may find the syllabus useful when discussing with your home University whether the ECTS credits attainable for this course are accepted by them.
The "Berlin/Culture" time slots are reserved for the cultural activities included in the tuition fee, as well as for the additional tours and trips that we offer. These activities are of course completely optional, should you want to use the time to explore the city by yourself, catch up on homework, or relax.
The course will be taught by experienced lectures from the language institute of TU Berlin ZEMS .
Please direct questions about the course to the TU Berlin Summer
University Team at: summeruniversity(at)tubs.de . We will
answer your questions and direct specific queries regarding course
content to the course lecturers where necessary.