direkt zum Inhalt springen

direkt zum Hauptnavigationsmenü

Sie sind hier

TU Berlin

Page Content

Capital-Forming Benefits

Students assistants can also save pursuant to the Capital Formation Act. Here, you commit to saving a certain sum every month. TU Berlin deducts this sum from your pay and directly transfers it to the bank or insurance provider.

You must submit a request to Human Resources to take advantage of the capital-forming benefits. It is possible to pay savings retroactively for the current year. However, your personnel team must have received your request no later than mid-November. A distinction is made between investment in shareholdings and investment in other subsidized forms of investment. More information can be provided by banking institutions and the payroll department. The employee savings allowance is granted on application by the tax office.

Student assistants are not entitled to the employer contribution to capital-forming benefits. At this time (2015) it is 6.65 euros per month for full-time employees. TU Berlin will not contribute a subsidy to your saved amount.

We should mention here that student assistants can also choose to take advantage of the “Riester” pension. General explanation: If you pay 4% of your gross pay into the Riester pension, the state will pay 154 euros/month (as of 2015) as a basic grant. You are required, however, to have full compulsory pension insurance, i.e. increase pension insurance contributions if necessary.

Change of Address

If your address has changed, you must update it in your tubIT user account under “Studierendendaten”. You must also inform the human resources department. You can also do this online under “Personaldaten" -> "Mitarbeiterdaten".

Child Benefit

Child benefit is predominantly regulated in the Income Tax Act. The Tax Office is not responsible for paying the benefit, but rather the Family Benefits Office or, for those employees in public service, the employer.

If you are a student assistant and entitled to receive child benefit for your children (as of 01.01.2016, EUR 192/month for the first and second child, EUR 198 for the third child, and EUR 223 for the fourth and further children), you must submit an application to the Family Benefits Office at TU Berlin. To do so, please contact the responsible team in Human Resources.

If you are still under 25, your parents are still entitled to child benefit and to claim you as a dependent. Up until 2012, your gross income was capped at EUR 8,004 per calendar year. The Tax Simplification Act (Steuervereinfachungsgesetz) of 2011 removed this income cap as of 01.01.2012.

Chronic Illness

See also -> Accessibility

City-Wide Business Trips

City-wide business trips are trips which have been arranged or approved and which cannot be made by foot (more than 2km one way). Reimbursement requests for transportation costs are to be submitted to the faculty or institute administration. Business trips conducted with one’s own vehicle are only approved under very limited conditions (see current notice Ref. VA dated 8.12.97).

Collective Wage Agreement (Section 1 TV Stud III)

The collective wage agreement is the most important foundation for all rights resulting from your employment, e.g. remuneration or vacation.

The most important rights and obligations for your employment result from your employment contract in combination with the collective wage agreement. Every employee personally concludes an employment contract with TUB. The collective wage agreement is mandatory and directly applicable only to members of the labor unions ver.di and GEW. It applies to all other employees through a corresponding passage in the employment contract.

As student assistants, you are simultaneously students and employees in public service and – even if there are some special regulations – full employees. This means that all acts and ordinances which apply to employees in public service, also apply to student assistants.

As of January 2019, TV Stud III applies retroactively to 1 July 2018 (see our webpage on Relevant Legal Standards). The new collective wage agreement includes wage adjustments, an increased holiday entitlement and longer sick pay.

More information about the history of the agreement and the agreement itself can be downloaded here.

-> See also: Employment Contract, Labor Union

Compulsory Insurance

Student assistants are required to pay pension contributions (Section 1 Sozialgesetzbuch VI) should they consistently earn more than EUR 450 per month. If you earn less than EUR 450 per month, you can request an exemption from pension contributions.

If you have additional employment outside of TU Berlin, your income is totaled up.

Special rights accorded to student assistants mean you are not required to pay social security contributions for healthcare, nursing care, accident insurance, or unemployment insurance (Sozialgesetzbuch III, V, XI).

If you work more than 20 hours/week for a total of 26 weeks within a period of twelve months, you are required to pay social security contributions.

-> See also: Social Security Contribution

Conditions of Employment

Most employment conditions (e.g. size of tutorials, daily working times) must be individually arranged and negotiated. Here, it is often a question of tenacity. Very few conditions are clearly laid out or stipulated in guidelines (e.g. lifting heavy loads, display screen work, lunch breaks).

Increasing group sizes in tutorials continually worsen working conditions and thus tutors’ workloads. If you have an unmanageably large group in your tutorial, we ask that you inform us of this. You can also contact us at any time regarding any other unreasonable working conditions.

-> See also: Workplace Safety, Paid Leave

Confirmation of Start Date

After you have received your employment offer/signed your employment contract, your institute sends Human Resources a confirmation that you have commenced work. Paid employment begins with the date stated in this confirmation. This confirmation should also state whether you are able to complete the contractually agreed upon working hours within the remaining days of the month. You will only be paid for the hours you actually worked. You may not receive your full salary payment if this information is not included in the confirmation.

Generally, your first paycheck is transferred to you approximately six weeks after your start. If you urgently require your salary, you can request an advance.

-> See also: Advance, Employment Contract

Conflict Counseling

We are happy to provide counseling in the event you experience conflict in your employment as a student assistant. You can also find an overview of the various conflict counseling offerings of TUB for different target groups and types of conflict here: Conflict Counseling Offerings.

Continuing Education

-> See: Educational Leave | For the continuing education program for tutors, please click here

Contract Extension (Section 121 BerlHG)

Pursuant to the Act on Academic Fixed-Term Contracts, an employment contract may be extended up to a total contract duration of six years. Your workplace must apply for a contract extension from Human Resources (see form: here). The application should be submitted no later than three months before your contract expires.

-> See also: Limitation of Employment Contract, Duration of the Employment Relationship, Maximum Duration of Employment

Zusatzinformationen / Extras

Quick Access:

Schnellnavigation zur Seite über Nummerneingabe

This site uses Matomo for anonymized webanalysis. Visit Data Privacy for more information and opt-out options.


H 1501b-d
Straße des 17. Juni 135
10623 Berlin
0049 30 314-21724

Staff Council for Student Assistants

H 1501b-d
- office not barrier-free
0049 30 314-22351

office houres
currently only