Neighbourhood Demonstrators (N-DEMO) provides a set of significant urban test-beds to demonstrate, evaluate, and facilitate the developed tools of the starter project Energy  Atlas Berlin . The test areas are located in Berlin, Brandenburg and London. Under the direction of Wulf  Holger Arndt  the module "Energy Consumption and Traffic flow" will be tested. Interrelations between land use, settlement structure and energy consumption are going to be pointed out and traffic emissions will be calculated.
At TU Berlin:
- FG Energiesysteme
- FG Geoinformationstechnik
- FG Energieversorgungsnetze und Integration erneuerbarer Energien
- FG Gebäudetechnik und Entwerfen
- Institut for Sustainebility
- Imperial College London (UK)
- Vattenfall Europe Wärme AG
- GASAG Berliner Gaswerke AG
Description of the project
Neighbourhood Demonstrators (N-DEMO) provides a
set of significant urban test-beds to demonstrate, evaluate,
and facilitate innovative and integrated low-carbon
interventions. Builded on new models of delivery and
data-driven insights the project will stimulate economic
development while lowering carbon footprint through
sustainable energy consumption. It will mitigate the impact
of climate change, and drive forward the learning on how to
create sustainable EU Cities through a systemic neighbourhood
Bringing together Climate-KIC academic and corporate partners, and providing real-world development and demonstration opportunities for SMEs, this 30 month project will apply and assess specific innovation opportunities, including climate envelopes, geothermal demonstrations, and holistic community-level low-carbon transformation. The first year of funding is sought here to initiate the project in Berlin and London, with a third location to be incorporated in year 2.
The project focuses on three deliverables:
1) data-driven modelling and visualisation to support investment optimisation at the neighbourhood scale, and enable stakeholder engagement;
2) developing new (and marketable) business models to enable large-scale, integrated delivery of low-carbon investments; and
3) demonstrators which provide corporate, SME, and public sector partners opportunities to showcase and accelerate innovation and market progress through knowledge-related processes, and develop the evidence base on systemic neighbourhood scale innovation and business development.
Neighbourhood Demonstrators builds on and supports other Climate-KIC projects in the Sustainable Cities theme including EURBANLABS, 3D Energy ATLAS, and SMART URBAN ADAPT; complements the Low Carbon Production theme; provides a test bed for emerging ICT-KIC initiatives (such as the Digital Cities Exchange project), and will optimise investments and progress good practice in national and regional projects.
Further development of the platform "Energy Atlas" in Neighborhood Demonstrator will consist in incorporating the dynamic representation of objects and quantities which develop with time, such as energy consumption and traffic flows. Moreover, spatial data aggregation functions and scenarios will be developed, which fulfill the necessity of planning and simulating at the scale of a Neighborhood. These functionalities will be primarily tested on the topic "Mobility". In the starter project, the "Energy Atlas" tool is implemented to reconstruct and visualize in the 3D city model cause-effect relationship between traffic flows, their energy impact and urban space use. In Neighborhood Demonstrators, the emission calculation tool will be tested on the more detailed spatial scale of the test Neighborhoods. In the tool, the variable time will be incorporated and traffic flows will be dynamically represented.
OfficeZentrum Technik und Gesellschaft
Sec. KAI 3-2
Tel: +49 (0)30 314-23665
Fax: +49 (0)30 314-12323665
e-mail query 
Phone: +49 (0)30 314-25230
Fax: +49 (0)30 314-12325230
e-mail query