SUMRICA - Sustainable Mobility Research in Central Asia
- © ZTG
Initiative: Between Europe and Orient - Central Asia/Caucasus in the focus of science.
The project focuses on interuniversity cooperation between German and Central Asian (CA) universities and one university in the neighbouring country Iran. Main activities connecting the project cooperation partners are gatherings, including summer schools, thematic and administrative workshops, research stays and publications - all targeting three main themes: (1) Land use / transportation, integrated transportation planning, (2) Environmentally friendly mobility, (3) Transport policies and financial issues.
Scholarship holders February - May 2020 / April bis June 2020:
- Aidana Zhalgas, Nazarbayev University (NU), Public transport organization and models of financing schemes.
- Amanbek Altybaev, Kyrgyz State University of Construction, Transportation and Architecture (KSUCTA), Public transport provision as a key task of the government.
- Adalat Aidarbek uulu, Kyrgyz State University of Construction, Transportation and Architecture (KSUCTA), Rationalization of routes of public transport in Bishkek.
- Mohammad Hossein Abbasi, Tarbiat Modares University (TMU), Investigating the effect of autonomous and shared autonomous vehicles on mode choice in congestion pricing area.
- Mirlan Dylbaev, Bishkek Humanities University (BHU), The impact of road transport on the ecological state of the environment and the state policy of public transport in the city.
Mobilityforum on 29/08/2019 at 10-12 a.m.
Mobility Forum on 19/09/2019 at 10-12 a.m.
Mobility Forum on 17/10/2019 at 10-12 a.m.
Topic: SUMRICA (Sustainable Urban Mobility in Central Asia)
scholars are presenting the current status of their research.
For more information on the specific event please see the Sektion "Mobilityforum " on the Research Unit's website.
The MobilityForum  or MoFo is a loose format in which the area "Mobility and Space " discusses mobility issues with external mobility researchers and practitioners. The external guests present new research ideas, open research questions or results of completed projects. In a second part, master's or doctoral students present the status of their work.
The MoFo takes place every 4 weeks on Thursdays at ZTG, Hardenbergstr. 16-18, 10623 Berlin, room HBS 517.
3rd SUMRICA School 07.09.-11.09.2020 in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
The third SUMRICA School will take place from 07.09 to 11.09.2020 in Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan.
Topic: Transport policies and governance, Public transport systems
2nd SUMRICA School in Urgench 28.10.-01.11.2019
- © Ali Zayerzadeh
The school was the concluding stage of the second research round in which the results of the research stays were presented and discussed. The school focused on the topic: Accessibility and Sustainable Urban Mobility
The School consisted of an official part in the hosting Urgench state University, presentations of the guest researchers and experts as well as local stakeholders. Organizers of the project from the TU-Berlin alongside local academics participated in the school, as well as two German students.
... read more 
1st SUMRICA School in Bishkek, May 2019
The second SUMRICA School  with the topic Accessibility and Sustainable Urban Mobility will take place from 28.10.2019-01.11.2019 in Khiva, Uzbekistan. More information ... 
The first SUMRICA School  took place in Bishkek between the dates 06-10.05.2019. It was the concluding event of the first research round in which the results of the research stays were presented and discussed. The school focused on the topic: Land Use/Transportation Interactions, Integrated Transportation Planning. During the working groups of the school, participants were discussing ideas sustainable mobility developments together with local stakeholders. The school resulted in a number of project suggestions and plans for future cooperation.
Read more ... 
- Fabian Deter 
- Michael Abraham 
- Aidana Zhalgas  (Scholarship February - May 2020)
- Norman Döge  (until 28.02.2019)
- Kunduz Damirbekova  (Scholarship August - October 2019)
- Azizbek Khasanov  (Scholarship July- October 2019)
- Mohsen Fallah Zavareh  (Scholarship, June - September 2019)
- Anna Seraya  (Scholarship, June - September 2019)
- Elnara Satekenova  (Scholarship, May - August 2019)
- Daulet Assanov  (Scholarship, March - Mai 2019 at ZTG)
- Olga Shvets  (Scholarship, December 2018 - March 2019 at ZTG)
- Fatemeh Ahmadipour  (Scholarship, December 2018 - March 2019 at ZTG)
- Elegiia Bokoeva  (Scholarship, August - October 2018 at ZTG)
- Elbek Khodjaniyazov  (Scholarship, September - November 2018 at ZTG)
- Assel Nugmanova  (Scholarship, September - November 2018 at ZTG)
- East Kazakhstan State Technical University , Kasachstan
- Nazarbayev University, Department of Civil Engineering , Astana, Kasachstan
- Urgench State University , Department of Construction and Architecture, Urgench, Usbekistan
- Kyrgyz State University of Construction, Transportation and Architecture (KGUSTA) , Institute of Transport and Communication, Bischkek, Kirgisistan
- Bishkek Humanities University , Faculty of Ecology and Management, Bischkek, Kirgisistan
- Tarbiat Modares University , Cilvil & Enviromental Engineering Faculty, Teheran, Iran
The project focuses on interuniversity cooperation between German and Central Asian (CA) universities and one university in the neighboring country Iran. Main activities connecting the project cooperation partners are gatherings, including summer schools, thematic and administrative workshops, research stays and publications - all targeting three main themes: (1) Land use / transportation, integrated transportation planning, (2) Environmentally friendly mobility, (3) Transport policies and financial issues. SUMRICA will tackle the societal challenges of CA concerning urban mobility by capacity building and increasing academic and professional bodies' awareness of sustainable transportation. Target groups are young researchers, instructors and professionals, either studying at or employed by a cooperation partner university, who will directly influence the future mobility and urban planning trends in CA. The project motivates young academics from CA to learn more about interdisciplinary transportation topics. A summer school is organized each year in one of the CA cooperation partner countries (Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan) by researchers from the German and cooperation partner universities. Cooperation between CA researchers and German PhD students is promoted by research stays, supported by three-month scholarships, at Technische Universität Berlin to intensify scientific exchange on common research topics with other German scientists in the field of sustainable transportation. The results of the research stays are presented in summer schools and during the project. Furthermore, they will be developed to be published in peer-reviewed journals and the project's publication series. SUMRICA aims at a long-term perception shift of the discipline in CA by providing next generation researchers, planners, officials and politicians with state of the art knowledge. The consortium includes eight universities from Germany, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Iran.
Fon: +49 (0)30 314-25230
e-mail query 
OfficeZentrum Technik und Gesellschaft
Sekr. HBS 1
Tel: +49 (0)30 314-23665
Fax: +49 (0)30 314-26917
e-mail query