Participation, including civil engagement and cooperation, has become a regular element in various scientific and socio-cultural domains. At the same time, many technical, economic, political and social problems may reveal unknown aspects if viewed from a participatory perspective. Broader research questions and focal topics of the Research Unit Participation include:
- What is the role of participation and civil engagement in the political, societal practice? And further, in which different thematic and civil discourses are they implemented? How can participation be addressed on a methodological and theoretic level?
- What are the challenges for the civil society, institutions, political or economic actors if they develop technical, socio-political, economic or scientific processes in a cooperative and participatory way?
In consequence, The Participation Research Unit offers the following competences:
- Productive and innovative combination of many years of research experience in participation and cooperation at the Center of Technology and Society from the respective research units- from mobility and security research to urban and regional planning and sustainability studies.
- Linking the subject of participation with innovation, sustainability and democracy on a theory- and a practice-based level.
- Development of participatory research designs including precisely fitted implementation and evaluation of specific methods and problems-from face-to-face participation to E-participation.
Design and realization of lecture series and seminars on participation in theory and practice.
- Hans-Liudger Dienel (IAAB/ TU Berlin)
- Amelung, Nina, TU Berlin, Fachbereich Soziologie
- Johannes Novy, TU Berlin, Habitat Unit (Institut für Architektur)
- Christine von Blanckenburg, Angela Jain, Kerstin Franzl, Jenny Schmithals (nexus Institut für Kooperationsmanagement und Interdisziplinäre Forschung / Berlin)
- Christiane Howe, HU Berlin, Institut für Sozialwissenschaften
Completed Research Projects (sample)
- Beteiligung an der Umsetzung regionaler Erneuerbare-Energien-Leitbilder 
- Demokratie und Gemeinsinn stärken 
- Energieregion Lausitz 
- Solidarity City 
- DELIKAT 
- Participatory Urban Regeneration 
Fon: +49 (0)30 314-23793
e-mail query 
OfficeZentrum Technik und Gesellschaft
Sekr. HBS 1
Tel: +49 (0)30 314-23665
Fax: +49 (0)30 314-26917
e-mail query